Monday, 25 July 2011

Thyroid test back - good news

My free T3 and T4 are bang smack in the middle of the normal range, and thyroid antibodies are very low. I'm very relieved that our embryo will have been able to get enough thyroid hormones to develop properly. They rely on the mother's thyroid hormones until about 14-16 weeks gestation, when their own thyroid starts functioning.

My high TSH, combined with normal levels of thyroid hormone, can indicate a condition called subclinical hypothyroidism. This basically means that i could be at risk of developing hypothyroidism in the future. My doctor has suggested we monitor my levels very regularly though the pregnancy, about once a month, so that if the levels change we can take action quickly. My first test was at 5 weeks 6 days, and i'm due to have another blood test for the first trimester screening at around 10 weeks, so i'll get my thyroid levels checked again at the same time.

I still have very mild morning sickness, which is fairly easily controlled by eating a small snack if i feel sick. Morning sickness is really a misnomer, i can get it any time of the day. I'm a little more tired than normal, and boobs are still sore and bigger than usual. They've gone up about half a cup size. I have put on about 1 kg and i think it's mostly in my boobs, although i've developed a bit of fat around my navel which is most off-putting to me, i've never had that before. Stomach still looks flat. Our embryo is the size of a blueberry this week.